[alfa] more on paint, does it matter?

Hey, this is an interesting topic!

You know, I used to work in a clinical chemistry laboratory. It was a U.S.
reference laboratory for measuring cholesterol -- one of only seven (at
the time) labs worldwide, standardized to what we called the gold
standard at the NIST. I actually used to present a discussion of our
procedures at scientific meetings.

You'd think an analyzer is a simple procedure, but it is not. And
depending on the type of analyzer, there are errors from a huge variety of
sources.... These errors are not limited to the analyzer, but include the
way the samples were taken, any differences among the samples (like
additives, viscosity, temperature, etc.), the optics of the system used,
the way the operator performed or interpreted the analyzer, the way the
system was calibrated and the type of material used to calibrate the
system, the type of measurement system used (enzymic, chemical,
colorimetric, etc.), and on and on.

So... If coming up with a paint color is anything like performing a
cholesterol determination, I see a good potential for different results
here. &:-)

To prove it, I did an experiment myself with house paint at the local Home
Despot when I was painting my house, which is an.... unusual ... color,
so color subtleties are fairly noticeable. Having painted it by hand and
brush it took me quite a while and several trips to the hardware store.
You'd be surprised at the variability in paint color I got, even using
the same code and checking the code on the label. The system they use
there for mixing house paint seems to be poor in both precision and
accuracy; it can't get the _same_color each time, nor can it get the
_right_ color each time.

Not knowing anything about the machines or how they worked, I thought at
first it was a question of calibration; that all you need to do is
calibrate to the correct color standard and once you find a color
standard you can trust, you can repeatedly get the same good paint with
that machine. So I tried different Home Despots, finding a little bit
better results at the new store in Redmond. But then I realized -- having
purchased what turned out to be a funny looking color in a can bearing the
correct label at the trusted store -- the machines must be dumping in,
with variability, slightly higher or lower amounts of color additive than
what is required by the measurement. It could be that the machines are
variable in this capacity, or that there's a large variety in the paint
quality. I then sampled paint lots and found that some lots of paint
tended to be much thinner than others, so they probably injected
differently into the mixture when it was calculated. I have no idea what
kind of optics are used -- whether it's a "calculate, pump color, and
you're done", or whether there are before and after measurements, but
judging on the color I received, I'd guess it's more like the former.

Getting back to auto paint, aside from the measurement aspect, I believe
there are different paint techniques for the different paint brands, is
that not so? Time for -- what is the term -- enzyme accelerating or
something like that -- could be too long for a particular procedure given
the correct pigmentation, and this leads to a brittleness that then causes
a different appearance in the paint because the paint then reflects light
differently than it would with less enzyme acceleration (I'm making the
word up because I can't remember what this is called). So that in and of
itself could cause an additional difference between paints.

But since we're talking about ALFAs, does that really matter? I thought
reds from different years were different. I would expect some colors to be
hard to find during war years because the components might be more
expensive, and so perhaps economies might be made in those years.
Further, if you really examine any one car from a period and compare it
to another, it might have different mats, door knobs, turn signals, or
trim, for example, because that's what was handy when the car was built.
So if you find a PPG paint that says it's Alfa yellow and computes to
Alfa yellow, would the difference be SO significant from a Glasurit Alfa
yellow that it really matters? I mean, who is around to decide whether it
really matters any more? I look at my Spider and usually conclude it was
CERTAINLY put together by someone who hadn't read "Alfa Romeo Spider: the
Complete Story" &:-).

I'd think getting the most visually pleasing (to me) color would be the
key. (And then purchasing enough for the entire car so it's all the same
lot... &:-)) What do you think?

Tess
in Bellevue, WA USA