[alfa] Spark plugs and burned valves

In the 70's, when I was stationed in Germany, a friend drove his 1300 GT Jr. to Italy and when he got there he had burned an exhaust valve so badly he had to have fixed there. Then he drove it back to Germany and by the time he got back it ran very badly. We pulled the head and found two exhaust valves badly burned, to the point where they each had a big "C" shaped piece melted out of the valve faces. The melted spots were the spots nearest the plugs. After much head scratching I figured out that the Champion plugs he had put in were way too hot. (Turns out the cross reference chart was wrong.) At sustained autobahn speeds the hot plugs appeared to be igniting the fuel as it entered the cylinder and essentially creating a blow torch which was pointed right at the exhaust valves. So, too hot plugs can indeed burn valves under the right (or wrong) circumstances. I'm sure the hemi design played a part in this episode as well. Interestingly, his pistons were fine. After he went back to Lodge plugs the problem never reappeared.

John