RE: [alfa] testing a regulator

THEY ALL DO THAT :-)

A little unnerving I know, but they all seem to do it and it does not cause
any problems.

I've never found a definitive cure. The most common hypothesis is that there
is too large a voltage drop in all the related wiring, fuse box, and
ignition switch.

If anyone has found a definitive cure, I'd love to hear it.

As for testing the regulator, the easiest thing to do is to measure the
voltage across the charging system first with all loads off at something a
little above idle (1500 RPM or so) and then repeat with the loads on (not
there is much you can turn on on an early spider, headlights, and heater fan
I suppose).

Should probably see something between 13.8 and 14.2 volts with the loads
off, and a little less with them on. (about .2 to .45V less).

These days when I replace an alternator on an older car, I upgrade them to
one from a newer car. Greater output, and they have an internal regulator
which eliminates some wiring so it was one less place for voltage drops to
occur. The newer alternator bolts right in and is not that much more
expensive.

HTH,

Jeff