[alfa] Bosch platnium plugs

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:14:37 -0400
From: "Gwynne W. Spencer" <gwynnes1@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: [alfa] Plugs again

I am the person that described the problems with Bosch Platinum +4 plugs in
BMW engines.

If you would take the time to review my posting, you will find that nowhere
in it did I say or suggest that the plugs "lunched " the BMW engines. In
fact the incidents were truly amazing in that the plugs were missing bits
and pieces, but the engines wre undamaged- at least enough so that when the
proper Bosch (or NGK) plug was installed to replace the broken +4 plugs,
the engines ran just fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gwynne Spencer

I had problems with the insulators breaking apart in my 16v Mercedes, NOT a
crappy motor. It cost me a valve job because a piece of ceramic from the
insulator jammed between the valve and seat resulting in a burned valve. After
doing research on the internet I fount this to be a common problem when using
these plugs in a motor that  does not come from the factory with them. I took
all of the platinum plugs out of all of my cars and threw them in the trash
and put NGK's in and have never had any problems since. I will never use them
again unless the motor came from the factory with them. As far as I am
concerned people who use them are playing with fire and will get burned some
day. I also was not able to get any response from Bosch on this subject.
                                Jim Trofitter