[alfa] 164LS Hard Starting

Catching-up on my Digests and adding my belated "two lira".

My original owner 1995 164LS has always had a tricky warm start procedure, since new. It may be a case of "marginally OK" when everything is working properly that turns into a big problem when components age or are out of spec.

A small touch of gas pedal during a warm start can often be too much and cause a flooding condition. It is only cleared with pedal to the floor and some significant stress on the battery and starter.

It might be attributed to California fuel formulations. Studebaker people add Marvel Mystery Oil to their fuel tank to help with real and imagined problems with new fuel formulae. I am not recommending it to Alfa owners, but it's a thought that comes to mind.

I can't solve the problem, but I can set the expectation that the 24v Alfa may never be as flawless as a Honda (flame bait!)

Ciao,
Karl in Sunnyvale
"One of 3 Alfa Karls in Silicon Valley that own 24v cars"