[alfa] re: Relay in headlight circuit

I just realized that I forgot to answer the second part of your question--parts. Relays, etc. are available from Dan Stern, as somebody already pointed out, as well as other such vendors, like Susquehanna Motorsports (http://www.rallylights.com) and Aardvark International (http://www.talbotco.com), as well as local retailers. The conventional wisdom is to avoid off-brand relays from local auto parts chains in critical systems like headlights. However, Hella, Bosch, etc. aren't cheap, unless you pull them out of the fuseboxes of BMWs in junkyards, and I'm not sure that's any safer than buying junk parts from AutoZone. What's most important is that you get relays rated appropriately for the current you'll be drawing. Two 100W high beams could draw close to 20A if your electrical system is heavily stressed. While I referred to generic 4-terminal relays in my previous message, 5-terminal relays with dual outputs can be handy so you don't have too many wires crammed into one connector (some cars have 4 bulbs on the high beam circuit, for example). But be aware that many 5-terminal relays feature a normally-closed terminal, which isn't what you want, unless you want to have your fog lights switched off automatically whent the high beams come on, or something like that. Some people like OEM-style relay holders. I don't, but they're available from the vendors mentioned above. I think it's worth noting that for relay holders to do you much good, you have to have female spade connectors that have the tab to secure them in the relay holder. It's for lack of these that I don't mess with relay holders, but it looks like Susquehanna now stocks them. Fuse holders with heavy gauge wire can usually be found locally, but I'm sure the afformentioned web sites sell them too. What I'd really like to find to make this mod easier would be relays with built-in fuse holders, like those used on the Milano for the radiator fan and aircon compressor. As for connectors, if you're upgrading a car from sealed beams, and you use the under-dash relay method, then you don't need any because the American lights your car came with use the same connectors as the European equivalents you're replacing them with (this compatibility doesn't apply to modern stuff like Complex Reflect 4 x H1 setups, or HID, which require entirely different wiring). If you're putting the relays under the hood to accomodate higher-wattage bulbs or because you don't trust your car's original wiring, this is where it can get frustrating, at least if you're me. Spider drivers need not worry, because the three-connector plug for H4 lights (and American equivalents) is readily available. Dan Stern will sell you a high-quality piece that I'm sure works well, but I dislike its non-OEM nature (the wiring harness attaches to the connectors with spring-loaded clamps rather than being crimped). Aardvark carries a very high-quality OEM-style plug with fairly heavy wire attached to it, which I would recommend, but I should warn you of Aardvark's Caribou-esque billing, shipping, and customer service behavior. It looks like Susquehanna stocks both styles of H4 connector, but I've never seen their parts so I can't say anything about design or quality. Your local auto parts chain may carry them, as well, because it's the same plug as American sealed beams, except the cheap crap I bought from AutoZone won't fit the sealed beam, the H4, or any other headlight I've ever seen. If you luck out and find cheap crap that fits, beware that the attached wires may not be adequate. If you have a four-headlight system with H1 bulbs, the easiest thing to do is get an H4 plug and leave the third connector unused. I believe this is what Dan Stern recommends. I think that looks too unprofessional, and I actually ended up using individual spade connectors. (I just have to make sure I don't mix them up, because H1 bulbs are polarized!) The local auto parts store has the same BS parts that don't fit at all, and Aardvark, supplier of the finest H4 connector, will be happy to sell you an H1 connector for the same high price, but will send you the same non-fitting crap that's available at AutoZone! And of course wire is available locally, as are normal spade connectors. I think that about covers it for parts.

-Joe