[alfa] Re:laser aligned prop-shafts

Could be, but I know that a sagging rear engine mount or a sagging
front transaxle mount that keeps the two ends of the propshaft from
being square to each other causes most of the problems that Alfetta
owners (GT Veloces, GTV-6, Milano, Alfetta Sedans) attribute to out-of
-balance propshafts and propshafts that kick the underside of the car
on getaway.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'

On Jun 13, 2004, at 9:20 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

> Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:35:22 +0930
> From: "The Baylys" <dabaylys@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: [alfa] laser aligned prop-shafts
>
> George,
>
> The suggestion of using the laser level is a good one and something I
> considered when I was looking at setting up an Alfetta driveline in a
> spaceframe chassis. After all one cannot possess too many shop tools !
> There
> are certainly some cheap and accurate resources available to us which
> would
> have been cost prohibitive or simply unavailable when our cars were
> new.
>
> This chassis project is still in the back of my mind but during my
> investigations I was advised by more than one 'expert' that having a
> propshaft in perfect alignment was not optimum in the real world.
> These
> guys were referring to standard low-speed propshafts with uni-joints
> but it
> got me wondering if the same wouldn't apply to an Alfetta propshaft.
>
> The theory goes that the propshaft must be slightly off being dead
> straight/square or it would induce harmonic vibrations to the driveline
> under low power conditions (highway speeds).  The shaft should be
> offset in
> a certain way dependent on the direction of rotation and power
> application.
> Sorry, I can't recall which way it should be offset.
>
> I'm not a qualified engineer and simply toss the theory out there for
> consideration/discussion/disapproval.
>
> Beatle
> '67 Duetto
> Oz