[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #152

Try a Sanden International. These are universally regarded as the best
automotive air conditioning compressors available. Lots of European and
Japanese cars use them including Alfa Romeo in later model Milanos and
164s in place of the York type that Alfa used for many years. The
Sandens seem to tolerate being open to the air (like setting in a car
in a wrecking yard for several years with the hoses disconnected) and
disused without all the seals rotting away. I think companies like BMW,
SAAB and even VW used Sanden compressors Once you find one, you'll just
have to have a bracket for your car made-up to mount it, or you may be
able to modify the bracket that came with your original compressor.
Sandens are rotary type compressors and adapt well to being converted
from R-12 to R-34 (just don't forget to change the oil type used in the
system).

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'