[alfa] re: droopy sun visors on a Spider

I have to stick my 2 cents in here. Being a Scot, I'm not about spending a
lot of money on fixes. On the contrary! (How do you know you're flying
over Scotland?) But here is one situation where I really disagree
with making repairs as a way of saving time and money.

The problem with tightening droopy sun visors is that the repair is always
temporary -- if you use your visors. Some of you argue you don't use
them, but the geography here around Seattle is such that major highways go
over bridges directly into rising and setting sun at morning and evening,
and it is _very_ helpful to have functioning visors. Once it gets loose,
the visor can really ruin your morning commute if you're trying to
concentrate on driving while flipping the visor repeatedly, trying
to hold it to the side with a wedge, or trying to get it to the side with
a rubber band or something of that nature.

I've had my Spider since '95. I've tried the coke can aluminum shim
method, the tightening-the-screw method, the loctite inside the pivot
point method, and finally, the wooden wedge inside the canopy clip and
rubber band method. I finally decided that the cost of new visors was far
less than the cost of my time messing with these fool things, and I bought
new visors from the local Alfa dealer.

Two screws pulled the old ones off and two screws put the new ones on.
They are nice and tight, and beautiful.

Whereas shims, rubber bands, wedges, loctite all reduced the beauty and
originality of my car, these new visors do just the opposite.

This is one situation where there really is a law of diminishing returns
on the repair side....

Tess
el cheapo
in Bellevue, WA USA