Re:[alfa] VVT - worth keeping?

Paul Witek asked a good question regarding retaining the Variable Valve Timing
on an '81  two liter, which he is apparently building for a hot street engine.
Didn't see much discussion, so I'll throw in my two pence...

I would not disable the VVT, to me it performs a valuable function in
augmenting mid-range power which is something you will be looking for in that
motor, Paul.  Unless I'm really full of frijoles (which is possible...), I
would think the other improvements would tend to enhance the effect of the
VVT.  I suggest you run it by Rex Chalmers of AlfaCentro for much more
qualified advice than I can give, however.

As for verifying the VVT operation, simply look into the hollow recess in back
of the solenoid section, where the unit bolts to the head.  If all is well,
you should be able to see a small pin engage and release as you rev the motor.
Good luck!

Dave Jarman
Lexington, KY
USA