Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 6/7/2004 6:36:24 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:31:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mark Patterson <mrpfiat@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] ignition timing

I must be being colossally dense, but I just cannot
figure this out.

I'm putting my engine (1750) back together, and at
cylinder 1 TDC, the distributor rotor is pointing at
the lead for cylinder 3.  The weird thing is that my
Autobook manual says that at TDC, the rotor should be
pointing to the front of the car, which it is.  So it
seems that either the manual is wrong, and the rotor
at TDC should be pointing toward the left side of the
car (which in fact it is at TDC in my 2000), or
somehow the distributor is off 90 degrees.  But I
never moved the distributor.  And the range on the
clamp would not allow me to move it 90 degrees anyway.

If the manual is wrong, though, then it seems that my
rotor is pointing in the wrong direction, and it
should be pointing to the left of the car.  But how
could that happen, since I did not remove the
crankshaft or distrubutor?

I really must be missing something very obvious.

Mark