Re: [alfa] GTV steering box question

Keith Goring (Owner and founder of "Alfas Unlimited" in Connecticut - see:
http://www.alfasunlimited.com/ ) told me that the '74 GTV changed to a
steering box with stub shaft and U joint to met US safety crash regs and
that the box has a problem of stress cracking (probably due to the loss of
the addirional support the steering column gave on previous models) He said
they repair cars with this problem by grafting in column and box from a
later model spider. Needs a fair amount of custom adaptation, though. He
said the Spider met the regs with a dished steering wheel.

Gwynne Spencer