From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
Watry, Andrew (LNG-SFR)
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 10:40 AM
To: 'alfa-digest@domain.elided'; 'tsahines@domain.elided'
Subject: [alfa] valve clearances with head off block?

I recently read in a 90s Alfa Owner that you shouldn't rely on valve
clearances set with the head removed from the block, because they will
change once you torque the head down on final assembly.  Anyone have
experience with this?  I've set them many times with the head off the block,
though honestly never thought to recheck them once the head was torqued
down.  It sure is easier setting them with the head off the block.  This was
in the context of V6s, but wonder if it's generally true, and specifically
true to 750-115 engines.  Thanks

Andrew Watry