[alfa] How to re-attach rearview mirror?

The rearview mirror in my 78 Alfetta fell off and the base that glues to the
windshield had a adhesive pad on it. They didn't have anything like it at
the local parts store so I bought two part glue specifically intended for
mounting rearview mirrors to windshields. I used the directions but when I
actually put the mirror with glue on the windshield it turned out that it
doesn't actually mount flush and the glue won't bond. Obviously this is why
the mirror was mounted with a foam adhesive pad in the first place.

My question: What kind of adhesive tape do I use to re-attach the mirror and
where do I get it?

Thanks
Thomas
78 Alfetta