[alfa] Re: V6 Valve Shims

Bert:

>I'm in the process of readying my "new" rebuilt cylinder heads for
>installation on my '84 GTV6.  After transferring the old cams to my new
>heads, I measured intake valve clearances, miked the old shims, calculated
>the required new shim sizes, and ordered new shims from International Auto
>Parts.  The shims arrived today.

I see you've gotten your answer on the shim issue.

From your post, it sounds as if you are setting the valve lash with the
heads on the bench.  If you do that, and then torque them down to the
block, you will find that all of your settings have changed significantly.
You must mount the heads on the block before setting the valve lash.

Just trying to help you avoid the same mistakes I've made...

Rich Wagner
Montrose, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco