RE: [alfa] Vintage radios...reprise + tweeter location

At 5/25/2004 03:57 PM, you wrote:
>I suggested to an
> upholsterer once about putting tweeters on each side of the headrests.
> He pooh poohed the idea. Can't remember exactly why but suspect he
> didn't want to have to deal with the wiring which I would want to be
> hidden in the seat back. Anyone done it? I'm not too up on speaker
> technology but aren't there surface mounted tweeters - meaning they
> don't require being in a "box" so the sound can bounce around a bit.
> Sorry if I'm being too technical (happy face).
>
> Comments?
>
> Biba
> Irwindale, CA USA

IIRC the Pontiac Fiero with the upgraded stereo had speakers in the
headrests. Shouldn't be to hard to find some at a breaker, I have no idea
how hard it would be to fit the seats....and take no responsibility for
suggesting putting Pontiac seats in an Alfa or the visual crime they may or
may not make. <big grin>
Mazda Miata's have speakers in the seat headrest. I put some 3.5" blaupunkts
in my Miata, it didn't originally have headrest speakers but the seats already had the cutouts for them. They sounded OK, not great. They definitely improved the sound at higher speeds where the door speakers get drowned out by wind noise. On the Miata adding the speakers is trivial. You unzip the top of the seat and there are cutouts for you to put the speakers into. You then pull the wire along the inside of the seat to the connector under the seat. You can see a picture of this setup at http://www.columbia.edu/~adr5/pictures/miata/headrest_speaker.jpg .