[alfa] BRM Production Car..Nearly, but not quite

Roger Laferriere says

<Never considered a Lotus as their cars didn't blow any wind up my skirt.
And I have always liked the BRM Grand Prix cars of the '60s but as they didn't
build production cars.>

Lets agree to disagree about Lotus. Its true BRM never did a production car,
but during BMW's brief headless chicken period when they didn't know what to
do with Rover, they did produce a strange car called the Rover 200 BRM special
edition. It is a Rover 200 in British Racing Green with a Dayglo orange air
intake and a red leather interior. I think it had the 1.8 16 Valve VVT engine
and had tuned suspension and a Torsen differential, and Owen Organisation
decals.

Youngsters had never heard of BRM, and it was too sporty for older drivers so
nobody bought it. Curiously though it does go and handle quite well, and you
can pick one up in good condition for about $5000. So there you go...an
irrelevant BRM production car, produced about 30 years after the team became
defunct. There is one here in town, and the owner is ever so proud of it, and
funnily enough one of our motoring weeklies has highlighted it as a secret
supercar this week (along with Peugeot 405 MI16, Accord Type R, Mitsu.Galant
VR4, Sub. Legacy Turbo, GM Vectra SRI 140) Well its not a supercar, but its an
interesting piece of kit and therefore worth a mention.

I'm not going to join in the Anti Brit Cars thread that seems to be emanating
from the Antipodes. Its amazing  how deep it goes when the Australians lose
the Rugby World Cup to us Brits. I shall maintain a stiff upper lip in the
face of such onslaughts, have a cup of tea (I do live in Boston..so I'm
allowed a Tea Party or two) and reflect on the fact that spares availability
for 1960s MGs is considerably better than for the current 2004 Alfa Romeo
range.Ha Ha!

Tim Hancock   Boston UK

164TS
164Super