Re: [alfa] Montreal comparisons

In one crucial point I must agree with the estimable John Hertzman:

<<I can't comment on the Ferrari. Never wanted one, never paid much attention to them, and still don't; they seem too far outside my core interests in what I might define as accessible excellence, which has been the nub of my past affection for Alfas at their best.>>

Personally, I have never viewed Alfa Romeos as a stepping stone to Ferraris. Sure, there are a few of them which have some appeal for me, like the 250SWB, the 348 Challenge and if the light catches them just right, the 308GT4; none of which I would refuse as a birthday gift. Ditto for Maserati's Biturbo Spyder (stick) or 228 or a Sebring. I might also be persuaded to accept the gift of the odd Triumph, Jaguar, etc.

But they are not the objects of my desire. I will grant you that, in the case of the GT4 vs. Monty, the Monty lets down the side as a consequence of its, um, uninspired chassis. But like most other ARs, the problems are very easily remedied, often in an organic way. In fact, one of my silly little fantasies has been to implant a Twin Spark engine in a Junior Z (thus turning it into a Senior Z), and in my wilder moments of putting a Montreal V8 inside a 2600 Spider.

But accessible excellence is, to my admittedly peculiar mind, the most powerful possible intoxicant. It also helps that here in SoFla, Alfas are mighty rare beasts. (On any given day, I will see 4-5 different Maserati GTs & Spyders, a Ferrari or two and 20-25 Porsche 996 variants.)

That all said, I aspire to eventual Montreal ownership, if for no other reason than to continue the development which was withheld it in the crib.

-Joe in SoFla
1984 GTV-6 Maratona
~22K mi.