[alfa] Re: front sway bar mount

At 03:23 PM 5/17/04 +0000, you wrote:

Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 08:02:04 -0400
From: Bruce Giller <bgiller@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Front swaybar mount

I had to unattach the GTV's front swaybar to get the engine out awhile back. And of course, one of the lower rubber bushing strap bolts sheared off when being removed. And my crude attempts to get the stub out has failed; Kroil, PB Blaster, propane torch, ViceGrips. So I went with hitting the stub with a hammer to shake things loose....only to find the stub getting shorter! Yep, the welded nut inside the car frame had pulled loose from car and in no time the stub&nut were free from the car but rattling around inside.

So now I need to weld on a new trapped nut. But how? There doesn't seem to be any access from the top to this area. I suspect that this happens alot on older Alfas. Is there an "approved" method to replace this trapped nut?

One though was to put in an threaded insert into the hole but I think that it would soon rip out. My only other thought is to cut out an area around the original hole larger than the replacement nut, shape a steel patch to fit theopening, weld the nut to the patch and then weld the patch to the car.
When this happened to me on the lower mount (where they always rust), I cut a "access" hole on the end of that radiator support cross bar at the inside of the wheel well, then used a bolt that dropped through the existing sway bar strap's mount hole. Now, with the "stud" sticking through the hole, I welded the stud bolt in place from the access hole. The access hole was made by cutting on three sides, so it was folded back in place and welded shut.

//KCT, Powell, TN