[alfa] Dash recovering on GTV

Fred Zimmermann comments and askes: "The new owner is not real fond of
the dash caps and asked about having it covered in either leather or
vinyl. He was particularly interest in having it done the same way he
had seen a car at a car show. The covering around the instrument pods
were stitched. I think it's called French stitching."

*********

Basically I agree with your friend regarding dash caps. However, I think
a lot of the problems associated with them (especially not sticking) is
a result of installing on the car. Several months ago  I installed a
dash cap on a loose '79 Spider dash. I got it spotlessly clean using a
special vinyl solvent. It seems to cut any silicone that was used. I
also did more than a bit of cutting grinding with various tools on the
Dremal and must say it  looks pretty darn good.

Still there are the edges.

Probably the most practical thing for the friend to do is package it up
and send it to Just Dashes in Van Nuys, CA. They completely remove the
covering And the foam, refoam, then using vacuum install the outer
covering. It truly will be as good as new. I commented about them some
time ago on the Digest and did include the caveat that I had to trim the
myriad openings for the lights, switches, etc, on the separate center
console. They were trimmed, but not quite close enough to be able to get
the various items in.

Unless their schedule has changed, plan on at least nine weeks and is
not inexpensive.

I've never known what that really neat stitching is called on high end
Italian cars, but just refer to it as hand stitching - which could mean
just about anything.  My concerns would be if this was to be done, the
upholstery shop would no doubt use the old foam and then how is the
leather (why not if one is going to this much trouble and expense) glued
to the old foam and will it stay down?

Yes, Beatle, I'd like to see a shot of your dash. As I've said
frequently - not that you need my approval - but do feel that would be a
very nice upgrade and if not original to an Alfa, certainly to a fine
Italian car.

Am wondering if it is possible for an upholster to stitch up a dash
cover in Leather (or?) and send it along with the dash to Just Dashes
and let them vacuum install it. I wouldn't want to pick up the tab, but
if they can do it, that in my opinion would be the ultimate.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA