[alfa] '73 Spider Steering Wheel

There that Beatle guy from Down Under goes again asking more questions.
Of course if he was a profession mechanic / restorer we couldn't respond
to his myriad questions since someone on the Digest deemed one couldn't
respond to professionals if their name began with a B.

His question goes as follows: "Will a wheel from a '73 fit a Duetto ?
Duetto's have a keyed shaft."

****

I'm going to muddy the water here and say the steering wheel from a '79
US spec. Spider will fit perfectly on a '69 US spec. Spider. That said,
in this case one would gain about an 1/8" longer reach  (refuse to
convert to metric) since the "wood" (is it really wood and I have a
split one and still can't tell) rim is thicker.

Looking at the picture of the UK Duetto on the cover and inside of the
incredible Duetto on Rees's "Original Alfa Romeo Spider" book, it
appears as if the steering wheel is not quite as dished - but difficult
to tell. The US '69 steering wheel is dished 5" (keep that inch to meter
conversion out) measuring from outside edge of the rim to the rear edge
of the base.

Now, one of the "spare" wood steering wheels in the shop at the moment
was handed to me by the client of one of the '69 Spiders in the shop. He
bought it on eBay and vaguely remember him saying is was from a '73 GTV.
All three '69 Spiders are stripped except for the steering shaft / box
so can't give you an exact dimension but the rear edge of the '73 base
is 1" from the rear edge of the two "ears" on the steering shaft. I
fully agree with Chris at Highwood, it will look like crap - though
don't believe he used those exact words.

 The base of the '73 partially slides on but began to bind a bit, but
feel it could fairly easily be made to fit. I don't feel it would bind
with anything, just look very Mickey Mouse.

Get correct shrouds and keep your original wheel - unless it's in
perfect condition. Then sell to me.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA