[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #71, flexible exhaust tubing

Stefano and Biba,

I use flexible tubing to connect a custom header to 2 1/4 exaust tubing, and
use a band clamp similar to those used on 18 wheeler exhaust systems. This
is a 3 inch wide stainless steel band with a clamp system that is tightened
to 75 ft/lb. It can be used on flex tubing fitting over another pipe or to
connect two equal size pipes. The tightening force actually distorts the
band over the joint, and makes a tight seal. These used to be available at
J.C. Whitney, but now seem only available at high performance outlets (Jegs,
Racer Wholesale, etc). The greatest benefit is when used to joint two same
size pipes. There is no overlap required, and disassembly is easy. Look up
at the exhaust of a big truck the next time you're stuck in traffic, and you
will see such clamps. I used to use these to connect the rear muffler joint
on our Milanos. Cost is around $8.00 each.

Also, stainless steel flex pipe and the braided flexible couplings are
available from J. C. Whitney. A great source of parts if you shop carefully
and stay away from the chrome plated mudflaps and neon underbody lighting
kits.

George Schweikle
Lexington, KY