[alfa] Coil negative terminal waveform

I have a fairly open-ended assignment in one of my classes where I need to design a simple circuit with a microcontroller. I'm considering making a tachometer. (Yes, I know this can be done without a microcontroller, but that's not the point.) I know that electronic tachs get their input from the negative terminal of the ignition coil, but I don't know what they're actually measuring. Frequency of some wave? If so, is it some kind of waveform that could be replicated in the lab with a signal generator?

Thanks,
Joe