[alfa] Shankle Headers - Flexible Exhaust Tubing

Kartalamakis suggests a coupling behind the expansion chamber to prevent
cracking of the exhaust pipe - as opposed to the exhaust manifold,
though I would imagine it would help prevent cracking of the manifold
also.

In the case of the '79 exhaust, it appears as if the two flanges from
down pipes to catalytic converter could be converted. Welding would be
required and not sure if one is supposed to weld next to a converter.

Since Leslie used the term "flexible" has anyone converted their down
pipes to actual flexible pipe as used on older British cars and, in a
slightly larger size, on 18 wheeler type trucks?

Having had some experience with the flex pipe, it won't last as long as
solid steel pipe, but also might allow one to move their exhaust system
slightly upward to give more clearance - though not sure if that is a
good idea with the catalytic converter.

Kartalamakis also suggests using only U-clamps to connect exhaust
sections together since it will allow some flex. I was going to order a
more sophisticated and solid looking sleeve type clamp for a new
Round-Tail exhaust since they now come in three pieces. Glad you "made"
me look up the coupling.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA