Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's

At 12:10 AM 5/5/2004, you wrote:

Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 09:29:06 -0700
From: Jonathan Thames <jthames@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] RE: Motronic fuel quality switch

Some very knowledgeable lister mentioned this miracle switch in a post last
week.  Does it have any effect on power?  I did a Google (NYSE: ??) search
on Motronic FQS, and had a couple Porsche hits, but none for Alfa. The Alfa
Factory manual, which I have, doesn't mention the FQS switch. Some Porsche
digest page from the 1990s show the following  seven switch positions (sorry
if the formatting is screwed up):
Switch Position  Fuel Correction  Ignition Correction
0 (stock)                       0                       0
1                               +3.1%           0
2                               +6.3%           0
3                               -3.9%           0
4                               0                       -2.790
5                               +3.1%                   -2.790
6                               +6.3%                   -2.790
7                               -3.9%                   -2.790

If these values hold true for the Alfa, which could best serve to alleviate
moderate pinging under say 33% load? It pings less under full load, and
drivability is fine. Would changing these settings provide more HP, as would
a chip? If so, what would give the most increase? Thanks!

Jonathan Thames
1992 Spider