[alfa] Fuel economy and rpm

When BMW introduced the 528 e (the e standing for Eta, a Greek letter having something to do with thermodynamics I believe) they did so while advertising the results of their fuel economy testing which established that you should drive a gasoline powered car as close to wide open throttle as possible, at as low rpm as could be used to do the job (i e accelerate the car) then cruise at the desired speed with the throttle as open as you can without accelerating the car. In other words, the old jack rabbit start so pooh poohed by the so called experts was proved to be most efficient. Now a diesel powered car would probably be different. In fact, a turbo diesel is so efficient in part because the diesel is not throttled.

I have found that the BMW results are correct in real world driving. I find that using WOT or close to it in the lower gears and upshifting at relatively low rpm gets you to cruising speed quickly and with minimum fuel consumption.

Another interesting tidbit comes from my owning two nearly identical SAAB 9000 Turbos, an 86 with a 2.0 liter high pressure turbo and a 97 Aero with a 2.3 liter version of the same engine. Vehicle weights are within 200 lbs of each other. Horsepower for the older car is 160 and for the newer is 225, at approximately the same rpm. Highway fuel economy for the larger engine with bigger boost is about 10 to 15% better than the smaller engined car while City economy goes to the smaller engined car by about 5%. I surmise that the smaller engine car uses closer to WOT for a higher percentage of the time while City driving whereas the bigger engine can run at lower rpm (lower final drive) on the highway. One other fact is that the bigger engine car is much quicker, having 258 lb ft of torque peaking at 1900 rpm, than the smaller engined car which only has 192 lb ft at 3,500 rpm. Vast improvements in computer software engine and boost management controls are also playing a part here.

So, for maximum fun and minimum fuel consumption, drive hard and don't use the brakes until you must....

Cheers

PS Off to see James Allison's GTV6 project, haven't touched a real GTV6 in.... way too long now.
Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner