Re: [alfa] Spica VS Weber emissions

At 1:29 AM 5/1/04, kev j gildea wrote:
>I did not take the Spica off my car, so I dont have any input on Spica.
>I have also struggled with emissions on my 71 Spider.  I have changed
>carbs 3x, went from DCOE 45 with 34 Venturi to 40s with 28 mm.  And all
>different sizes of jets.  I added electronic ignition, (big help)   The
>thing I found that really helps is oxygenate the fuel.  Take the car down
>to one or two gallons of fresh fuel, add 1-3 bottles of gas line
>antifreeze  (heat), and things will usually clean up pretty good.  Leave
>the emissions station and fill with good fuel.  This worked for me.  If a
>car is close it will give the final push.  Probably wont work for a
>tired, or poorly tuned car.  Kevin

What has been going on with your car, Kevin, is that you have been playing
with the mixture fed by the main circuit in the carbys--which has virtually
NO effect on the emissions under the operating conditions at which the
emission test is conducted. The idle circuits are what is rich and making
passing the test a dicey affair for you.

Adding the high % of alky to fuel (you didn't mention whether you used the
isopropyl or the methyl alcohol 'Heet', although the methanol would have a
much more pronounced effect), you effectively leaned out the idle circuits,
and thus enabled the car to pass.

it will pass just fine.

The thing that would REALLY help you pass would be a fully programmable
ignition (programmable as to timing vs engine speed and load).

Greg