Re: [alfa] Alfas for Solo2 events

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:07:53 -0600 "Ritchie, Jason" <jritchie@domain.elided> wrote:

> I'm thinking of running a few events with the local SCCA that runs Solo2
> and I'm trying to decide which of my Alfas to prepare for the events.  I
> have a 1974 Spider and a 1986 GTV-6 that are both alternating daily
> drivers but both have issues to take care of.  Time and money wise I can
> only really get one ready to run the events.  Which one would ultimately
> be the best for these short, tight courses.  I'm leaning towards the
> Spider but have reservations about the lap belts and street roll bar.
> The GTV-6 has the advantages of shoulder belts and a hard roof as well as
> less oil leaks.  Both cars are very stock and would be run with street
> tires for now.  I'm not looking to win anything, just have fun.

i've autocrossed both a 74 GTV and an 87 Milano, and so have
some experience with similar cars.

i don't think you have much of a roll over worry with a stock spider
on street tires.

the lap belts won't hold you down as well as a shoulder harness, but
since you've got the street bar, installing a 6 point race harness isn't
entirely out of the question.

both cars can be fun to autocross. if the gtv-6 were an early one with
the tall gears, there'd be no question that the spider would be the way
to go.

which transmission is in the best shape?

richard