Re: [alfa] Re: Spica vs. Carbs

My Alfetta has a 2 liter engine with 12 mm Colombo Boriano cams, unspecified head and pistons (I
have not had the head off this engine). It pulls strongly up through 6500 rpm without running lean
(I have a dynograph) with a Wes Ingram Spica fuel injection pump that I never have to tinker with,
besides the little oil filter which is a pain to get to.

Webers are fine for racing where you really only need to have the right jetting at WOT but on a
street car where you want it to idle cold, warm and hot, transition from idle to light throttle and
then through cruise to high speed it is really a lot of work to get the correct jet combinations for
all circumstances. If you enjoy tinkering and think its interesting to try to figure out how to get
rid of the transition flat spot and cool to tune your carburetors every few weeks or so, then by all
means go with Webers.

However, if you really are planning on having the car as a daily driver and keep it for more than 5
years then just bite the bullet and get a pump built for your engine, with capacity for larger cams,
from Wes. It will appear to cost you more, but to get the carburetors to work really well you'll
want to rebuild them and possibly get larger venturies, maybe some new jets and maybe some extra jet
since even an expert rarely gets the jetting right on the first try and before you know it you'll
have $400 into your carburetors...

Not to mention that a rebuilt and properly set up Spica should use quite a bit less gas and blow
cleaner exhaust, plus it is what your car came with.

Good luck
Thomas Moll
Seattle
78 Alfetta (rebuilding driveshaft and axles, oh joy)
76 Alfetta (spare shell, rust free - free to good home)
67 Super project (yes it will have a 1600 engine and the webers it came with for the sake of
originality)