[alfa] universal cat

Hi all,
I am planning on installing a header and free flow catalytic converter on my 87 spider. Because all headers (all headers I've seen, anyways) require modification to the stock converter, I might as well buy a universal free-flow cat and save a lot of money (Dynomax max-flow converters sell for ~$100) and gain some extra performance as well. There are a number of different designs available, for example 2 way, 3 way, air pipe, no air pipe etc. Does anyone know what type a stock converter is? And does it really matter--all types have EPA approval. Any recommendations for a brand of high performance converter? Thanks,
Ben
87 Spider grad.