Subject: [alfa] CA Bill # AB2683: A Constructive Suggestion

>For some reason, the
>Federal Gummint seem to think California have their stuff together and
>should be emulated nationwide.<

Oh, I suspect the reason has more to do with people being lazy, i.e., let
California work something out first, then simply change a few words around
and adopt pre-packaged blocks of legislative code verbatum.

As far as a retrofitting a digital system to an L-shitronic, unless the
smog tech sees something really stupid going on in the engine compartment,
I can't imagine a smog tech trying to figure out what kind of computer
you're running, especially since they're generally hidden away out of sight
somewhere.

"One of these days" I'll have to set to work on an L-Jet replacement for
myself, but we'll see!

>While the low mileage appears to be a good argument, how can anyone
>prove it? The speedos / odometers / cables are not sealed but who
>actually keeps track of miles driven anyway, except possibly the owner?

AFAIK, it's illegal to fiddle with the mileage on an odometer. I don't know
that it's necessarily illegal to drive a car around with a _broken_
odometer, but I think diliberately disabling one _is_ illegal. Making some
form of functioning odometer a mandatory "smog part" required to pass a
smog test on older cars might be a reasonable compromise. I understand that
in Japan, engine's have to be rebuilt or replaced every 100k kilometers,
which seems ridiculous to me, but I haven't heard of it being a big problem
in Japan (sure, another culture, blah, blah, blah.)

>The original deal was that in '99 74's would be exempt. In 2000 75's,

And politicians say tolls on bridges will only be collected 'till the
bridges are paid for. And boys tell girls "I deeply love and respect you.
Now take your clothes off." (They should put seat belts on those turnip
trucks....)

>Subject: [alfa] Does Oil Get Corrosive?
>
>Does Oil Get Corrosive after a period of time even if you don't run the
engine
>very often?

Especially if you don't get the oil hot enough to evaporate condensation,
which can be a problem for an Alfa engine running, oh, about a hundred
gallons of oil in the sump....

RON