RE: [alfa] CA Bill # AB2683

Biba,

I think you need better arguments:

> "Assembly Member Chavez, I urge you to vote no on Bill #
> AB2683 introduced by Assembly Member Lieber. As you are aware
> it involves (if I read it correctly) doing away with the
> rolling smog exemption for older cars. While I agree CA needs
> to continue to lower the various components which cause smog,
> this "group" is undoubtedly one of the more minuscule causes
> of smog. Yes, they are not remotely as close to zero
> emissions as modern cars, but they weren't when new. It is
> virtually impossible to pass current emissions tests as it is
> for  25 year old (and older) cars. The 25 year old tests were
> considerably less severe and even with all equipment in "as
> new" condition, they will barely pass.

That doesn't seem a good argument for allowing a bunch of gross polluters.
They won't pass, therefore we should let them by?

> "Should this bill pass into law it will greatly impact the
> small minority of owners who depend on these cars as their
> daily drivers,

Fair enough,

> middle class owners who keep an older car in
> the garage as their "Sunday brunch" car,

And why should we care about them?  I wouldn't argue that it will impact
this class of people, I would argue that their usage characteristics don't
warrant the expense of policing, or don't really affect the overall
emissions that much.

> and wealthy owners
> who show their cars along with enjoying them on various
> rallies throughout the state.

It will impact the wealthy owners how?  Financially?  Boo hoo..

> "As a restorer of older cars, I'd surmise 85 to 90% are
> driven less than a few thousand miles per year and are kept
> in excellent to perfect condition - quite often as they left
> the factory."

Biba, my advice would be to go with the "low use" argument.  The whole
financial impact argument won't gain a lot of sympathy when you're talking
about the financial impact on wealthy owners.

> True, the temptation was to end with, "So if you want to
> really piss off a small but very vocal group which varies
> from the very poor to the very rich..."

Again, who cares, it's such a small group as to not affect the emissions
significantly, therefore it shouldn't affect the votes in a likewise
manner...

My .02,

bs