Re: [alfa] 164 vs. BM% e36

I do have several track days with a 1991 164L 5sp. The track was Limerock
located in CT.

My first comment is stay off the brakes, they will start to fade in a couple
of laps with hard or even gentle breaking at the entrance to every corner.
Save the brakes for the end of the strieghts and they will be fine.

Next is cornering, the car is big and heavy compared to a GTV6, and less
balanced compared to a Milano. With all cars being stock I would say that
the 164 3.0 will outrun a 2.5 Milano and is about equal with a 2.5 GTV6. A
3.0 GTV6 will blow the 164 away.

The 164 will understeer but other than that it is fun and safe on the track,
Do not abruptly lift the throttle on corners (if you do it will oversteer) I
guess that applies for any car.

My advice is to take the car out on the track, you will have fun, the car
can keep up with early 3 series BMWs. The M3s and M5s will be passing you
all day, but have fun out there and concentrate on your lap times and keep
it smooth. You will not be embarrassed by driving that car.

The first Timed event I took third place in the novice class, the second
event I took second (only  a few 100s of a second from first). The other
times on the track were not timed, but I had fun.

The times at Limerock were in the high 1:16s low 1:17s, maybe someone can
comment on stock GTV6 times and 2.5 Milano times at Limerock. I was running
street tires.

Bill LeClair