[alfa] new head

First, if you haven't already get or make some cylinder hold-downs. Alfa made "real ones", but you can build them yourself out of some washers and metal pipe. DO NOT turn the motor without the head on any more if you don't have hold-downs in place. There is a very real chance a piston will raise a liner, which will require pulling the motor to fix. Slide a few really wide washers down the head studs, then drop the pipe on it, then tighten the pipe to the washer with the head nut.

Next, remove the head and get a metal straightedge to make sure you haven't ALREADY lifted a liner. Just make sure they're all nice and even.

After all the cylinders are firmly held down, set the #1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke (make sure the disty is pointing at #1). Remove the hold-downs and don't move the motor again until the head is on it.

Remove the camshafts from the head by gradually loosening the clamshell nuts (I work in a cross-wise pattern, top-1, bottom-2, top-3, bottom-4, top-4, bottom 3, top-2, bottom-1, etc.)

Carefully place each bucket/valve shim combo in a labeled bag, one each. Also make careful note as to which cam clamshell goes where, and which way they're pointing (they're numbered, just make a quick sketch).

IMO there's no need to mess with the roll pins... just put new o-rings on and off you go.

Place the head on the motor. It should seat down just perfect. If not, check the cylinder liners again. Replace all valve shims & buckets. Torque it down to spec, then place the cams on the head. Make sure the #1 cam lobes are both pointing directly away from their respective valves.

Place the cam clamshells on one cam (I start with the exhaust, but that's just me). Make sure they're in the right order, facing the right way. There will be a mark on the front clamshell that's supposed to line up with a mark on your camshaft. Line these up as close as you can for now. Place the washers down on the studs and then hand-tighten all the clamshell nuts. Note you may have to press down pretty hard on a few of the clamshells to get enough thread to start the nut.

Now, find something to hold the camshaft in place. I use a 22mm wrench (I think that's how big it is anyway) to hold the nut on the end of the cam sprocket. Move the cam until the marks line up perfect, then start tightening the clamshell nuts in the same cross-wise pattern you loosened them. Keep tightening until they're all snug, but not tight. Get a torque wrench (buy one if you have to) and torque the clamshell nuts to 16 lb-ft. Make sure you hold the camshaft still the whole time, because it'll want to squirm as things tighten up.

Now repeat with the other camshaft.

Connect the timing chain and manually rotate the engine through a complete firing sequence. If something binds, back off and try and figure out what went wrong. If it spins properly (likely), continue on with the motor assembly to finish the job.

Hope this helps, and apologies if you already knew all about it.

Scott Johnson
71 1750 Spider
Alfa Spider FAQ Author