RE: [alfa] Wiring a Thermo Fan

> 1.    I have both 70A and 30A relays.  Is 70A overkill for a small thermo
?

IMO, 30A is fine for a fan.

> 2.    Do I run the fan's main power without a fuse directly from a 'hot'
power
> source such as alt, batt, or starter ?

You can.  Make sure you fuse it..

> 3.    Do I run the relay 'switching' power thru a fuse ?

I'm of the opinion that everything should be fused.  Where are you tapping
the power for the relay from?  For something with that light of a current
draw, you should be able to tap pretty much any fused tap from the fuse box,
switched or unswitched (your choice, do you want the fan to run after you
turn the car off or not).

In the fwiw dept, I find that the thermo switches that are used in radiators
to dwitch power to fans are just fine with the load, and don't require
relays.  Simplest installation, especially if the battery is in front next
to the radiator, is to install such a switch in the radiator, run a fused
wire from the hot lead of the battery to the thermo switch, then power the
fan from there.  No need for a relay, or a dash switch.

You can also run a simple dash switch in parallel with this if you'd like,
you can find switches that will switch 30A with no problem..

HTH,

bs