[alfa] thermostatic actuator

My TA no longer extends as far as it should.  It does,
however, vary over the correct range as it heats up.
That is, it lengthens 8 mm as it heats up, but the
plunger starts near the end of the stationary portion
of the actuator, so it doesn't start at 19mm.

Here's my question:  Why can't I just put a spacer
under the actuator?  I could use a piece of brass,
say, that floats in the cylinder below the actuator
and makes up the difference in length.  And if
necessary, I could grind the ends of the spacer so
that they do not fill the cylinder but match up with
the pieces they push against.  The main body of the
spacer should be almost as large as the cylinder, I
think, so it stays properly aligned.

This seems to me like a good solution, but I haven't
seen it suggested elsewhere, so I wonder.  Maybe it's
been used by others, and I haven't seen the
suggestion.  Or maybe I'm overlooking a problem.

Mark