Re: [alfa] lodging in Carmel, CA [minimal Alfa content]

You could stay in Salinas (east of Carmel) or Seaside (north of Carmel) for cheaper than either Monterey or Carmel.  The drive will be longer though.  Being Memorial Day weekend, I'm sure everybody has jacked their rates way up!

Good luck!
Steve