[alfa] RE: front crank seal replacement

> >Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 Biba writes:

Seals: Not proud to admit it, but don't believe I've ever managed to
>install a seal with squishy stuff on the outside - perfectly. Some of
>the squish material always comes off which means it now will not only
>leak past the seal sooner rather than later, it will also leak past the
>outside of the seal. Other than using a pipe of the correct diameter,
>are there any tricks I'm missing? Freeze the seal to shrink before
>installing? Use silicone grease? In the meantime for the front I use
>'incorrect' seals which admittedly aren't designed for a specific
>rotation, nor do they look anywhere near as 'sturdy' as the used Goetze
>I have in front of me (827 SROW / 35-50-10). Apparently I was
>installing it at one time and as usual the squishy stuff began peeling
>off. All indications are that it was going in absolutely straight, but
>there is one small area where the serrated outside edge has torn off.
>The ones I have been using have a metal jacket with a very light
>flexible coating on the outside edge. They go in nice and clean but
>still eventually leak around the seal. These are made by Chicago Rawhide
>(13944 / 35-50-8) and you can see they are 2 mm narrower than the
>'correct' Goetze. >

Helps to use an assembly lube on both the inside and outside of the seal;
alternatively a thin smear of Hylomar on the outside whould provide a
non-hardening leak-proof seal.

>Pulley nut: ....Regarding the latter comments: I've just pulled an
engine / transmission >/ driveshaft. Had to cut off a handful of items to
get it pulled. I >absolutely hate doing this but all of the cutting
necessary was because >of the last mechanic over torquing some of the
items. >Biba >Who, if you haven't figured it out by now - hates people
who over torque >Alfa parts which have no desire to fall off in the first
place and is >not looking forward to removing the steering wheel from
this particular >car. >Irwindale, CA USA

As I hate tightwads who refuse to make an inexpensive investment in a
bottle of Anti-Sieze.

 I would revise Biba's statement to read:  Alfas are like cats and women
- they don't like tightwads and don't like to be ignored unless they're
in the mood to be left alone.

Graham L. Davis

'89 Milano Verde, etc.