RE: [alfa] Carbs and Cats

Eric said:

> want to do?  Meet emissions- put back on the Bosch; make cool noise- keep
> the webers and loose the cats.
>
> Make power?  Bosch.  Check the power ratings- the Bosch returned
> the power
> back the the old days, and kept emissions decent.
>
> Make race type power- either way, and loose the cats.

The MegaSquirt is also an option here.   Depending on how much money you
want to throw at it, you can use the TWM throttle bodies that bolt onto a
Weber manifold and come complete in most cases with fuel rail and linkage
for bolt on operation.  The bad news, it'll run you about $1000.  The good
news, it gives you programmable injection and better airflow than stock
Bosch throttle/plenum and allow you to run hotter cams.   IME, something
like a 10548 cam plays havoc with the plenum vacuum and makes idle tough and
emissions tougher.   A programmable on ITB's solves both of these.

Pick up a Marelli Plex and use the MegaSquirtnSpark with an EDIS-7 to
electronically control spark too, getting rid of both Bosch boxes for
something more modern.

There is a P.S. here and, personally, I would NEVER do this but...

Suzuki GSXR throttles will adapt onto a Weber manifold, have a 40mm bore and
can usually be found on EBay for $200 with injectors, rail and regulator.
I couldn't bring myself to put Japanese motorcycle parts on my Alfa.  It's
your call whether you can live with that.

There's a guy in Australia that just fit an entire Alfetta driveline
(transaxle and all) into a hot rod body and used the MegaSquirt and GSXR
throttles.  I'll dig up the URL if anyone's interested.

-Peter