[alfa] Fouled plugs and extremely hot CAT

So I'm cruising in my '86 Alfa Spider all day yesterday and she was running sweet. I went to take her out last night and, well he had a fight. She was coughing and puttering, and long story short, after about 1/4 mile, I took her back home. Heck, almost didn't make it. I smelled the faint aroma of burning exhaust pipes and peaked under the car. The CAT was extremely hot - like red to orange hot. So I figure, either it is running extremely lean or extremely rich. I took the plugs out and they are black, dry and fouled. She's been retro'd to dual webers. Any thoughts on what happened all of a sudden on my fuel/air mix? Ignition problem maybe and not firing correctly? Where the heck do I go from here? Thanks for the input....