Re: Re: [alfa] V6 Alfetta sedan for sale

Brian I just noticed this post as I was deleting a few files and thought I
should comment on some of your comments.
i: You are right that the 2lt mounts work however the v6 mounts are far
stronger and make the engine sit lower in the car. For legal reasons they
are also required.
ii: The alfa 90 or any V6 driveline has less weight in the prop shaft halfs
and larger stronger donuts. Not so critical with the 2.5 but the torque of
the 3.0 makes that improtant unless you want to keep changing the donuts.
Same applies to the whole rear transaxle. The 2lt setup will do ok with the
2.5 but wont last under the extra power of the 3.0lt when driven hard.
iii: The brakes and wheels are also a legal issue, as is the suspension. I
can tell you first hand that with the speed and weight of my sedan the 2lt
brakes are not safe for driving hard.
iv: The 3.0lt engine has much more power but more to the point it has a lot
more torque. The 2lt running gear can not cope with the increase in torque,
where as if one where to fit a 2.5lt engine then it would probably handle
the odd thrashing around. And as you agreed whats the point of fitting only
the 2.5.

It is interesting to have a good look at a 2lt GTV and a GTV6. Alfa went to
great lengths in re-enginering many areas of the car which I think is often
overlooked. In other words they didnt just drop in a V6 and away we go. They
put in a serious effort and  in many respects it is a different car.If you
want to transfer some of this design effort to an early car then it does
take quite a bit of effort. I for one like to do things correctly for my own
self preservation. Also I dont like fixing things twice when they break.
Anyway I'm by know means having a go at your comments but I did feel it
important that I made it clear as to why I believe in certain things.
Cheers,
Dean