Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: RearEnd Twitch

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Nick Argue wrote:

> Graham
>
> This was me! It's an interesting idea as I haven't done anything to the
> front suspension units yet.
> I intended to re-build them this winter but may now bring it forward. Did
> you need any
> other parts apart from the top mounts/bearing?. Also where did you source
> the mounts from?

I just used new top mounts,new internal bearings and new top spring insulators
in polyurethane on both sides and one new internal sleeve on one side only.
All other parts (thrust washers, gaiters , shocks were OK.)

> Did I read on the list that someone had a problem with a front suspension
> overhaul kit, especially the top mounts.?

This was me again! I obtained the mounts from Rimmers although I have to say
that I was not particularly happy with the quality. When I questioned Rimmers
they sent me some replacement mounts but I returned them since again I was not
happy with them.  I did in the end use the replacement parts but I personally
would not buy these from them again. I must say that I have no axe to grind
with Rimmers and they are always very happy to replace parts that do not give
full satisfaction. I bought the original items from them when they were on
special offer and I could have bought better items from others at more
expense. You get what you pay for as they say.

The difference to the "twitch" might be because the old top bearings/thrust
washers were sticking and this winds up slightly the front spring. I have no
doubt that the car behaves better with the new bearings/thrust washers
greased.

Let us know how you get on with your front end rebuild.

Regards

Graham Nicholson