Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Soft-top frame restoration - what do I keep ?

Ross Watson wrote:

> Well... I've started on my softtop frame. It was in worse condition than I
> thought and will probably need to be cleaned up (blasted) and powder coated
> (or somesuch).
> Anyway... I've just stopped because I suspect I have hit a major problem. At
> some point in the years since it was taken off the car, the front rail
> became bent back about 45 degrees. I gently had a go at staightening it and
> then drilled out the rivets that hold the front rubber seal (713627). Once
> removed, I pulled the hood material back, and the front rail came with it !
>
> One end is now totally detached, and the other end is loose and looks
> similarly bent. It also looks like the fixings at the corners are cast, so I
> can see why they didn't like being bent. I've had a look at perhaps removing
> the big pins at the corners, but they seem riveted over.
>
> So... something in the back of my mind says that this is terminal. What's
> the collective view ? I could file off those big pins that connected the
> front rail to the side (713638 & 713637), and then see if I can get some new
> brackets made, but I can't see how they're held at the front (to 813768).
> Are they part of the front rail, or can they be detached ?

Ross,

I can't remember how the corner brackets are attached to the front rail
(probably welded) but you must make sure that if you get it welded up,
the joint where the rivets were is still free to move. One of the
problems with my frame was that these joints had rusted together,
fortunately in my case some oil and gentle persuasion was enough and the
brackets didn't break off.

Also I would leave the foam pad attached to the front rail if and when
you get it painted (just mask it off) as I am not sure that you can
replace it.

Best wishes,

Dave.

--