Stag/Stag Digest Archive

crankshaft/jackshaft sprocket removal

Hello all.  I've managed to get the front cover off as well as the camshaft
sprockets and timing chains/tensioners.  The outside tensioner seemed to be
at the end of it's travel and the outside chain was very slack; had about 1/2
inch of slop in it.  The inside chain was nice and tight.  All 5 gears are
quite worn; the teeth are all pointy; crankshaft gears especially; they're
almost sharp.  I have all new sprockets, but I can't seem to get them all off.

Q1:  Any suggestions on removing the jackshaft gear?  I loosened the bolt on
the jackshaft gear before I removed the camshaft sprockets, so the bolt is
out, but the gear won't budge.  Use a 3 jaw puller?  I really don't want to
pull the whole jackshaft out and then remove the gear if I can help it.
Q2:  How critical is the orientation of the jackshaft?  There is a scribed
line across the face of the gear that is supposed to be approximately
horizontal when the camshaft indexes are lined up, and it is.  But, there is
no index for the jackshaft and I'm sure I've moved it a tooth or two.  How
critical is this?  I'm sure it will throw off the timing since it runs the
distributor, but how much?  I wouldn't think it would be too critical since
there isn't an index.
Q3:  What is the best way to remove the crankshaft gears?  I've tried by hand
and they won't budge.  Time for a 3 jaw puller?  I want to use alot of care
in not turning the crank with the chains off, so I don't want to try anything
with too much muscle.
Any suggestions or moral support greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Frank Magnusson
Wichita, KS.