Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: play in front wheeel bearings

Sujit,

I'm not sure what you mean by "1 across flat"
but a small amount of play could actually be
beneficial.  If there's no play at all then when
everything warms up the bearing could be too
tight.

I once had a stub axle break on my first Stag
when the bearing overheated and seized solid.
Luckily I was only going slowly but it's not an
experience I'd want to repeat!

I had been hearing loud intermittent squeals but they
appeared to be coming from the rear. (no, not from
rear seat passengers!)  I was on my way home to
investigate further when the axle broke.

I think there's two holes for the split pin - 90 degrees
apart - to make it easier to get it right, but I'm only
going by memory here. The manuals don't make it
clear. They just say to tighten to 5 lb ft, then slacken
till the split pin will fit in.  They warn against overtightening
though.  And 5 lb ft isn't much more than finger-tight.

John Clayton
SOC member no.1570
Kent.  UK