Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Rear End Twitch

John Eklund wrote:

> It is suggested that the twitch, while caused by worn or poorly lubricated
> splines, is only possible if there is lateral movement (rather than up &
> down)  in the rear trailing arm bushes. If the bushes are in poly, they are
> harder, and do not allow this to happen. I'm going to change the bushes and
> use CV grease on the splines and see what happens..

John,

The splines will change position with both ride height and lateral
movement of the bushes. This is due to the type of suspension used on
the Stag, the distance from the diff to the hub will reduce with ride
height. Hence when applying power coming out of a corner the splines
lock the suspension at the cornering roll angle and so when you back off
(eg. to change gear), the splines are then allowed to move and the
suspension jumps back to it's normal angle. It is this which causes the
twitch !

As somebody else said fitting an anti-roll bar will reduce the roll and
hence the twitch.

My opinion is that although poly bushes will help, the grease on the
splines is the main factor.

Dave.

--
	Dave Biggs