Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Top strut mountings

I am having a frustrating time. I thought it was a simple job to replace the
two top strut mounts. However after assembling both sides one side locks up
and will not allow the top mount to rotate. I have discovered that the
central boss in the new mount is 1 to 2 mm longer than the orginal mount and
therefore when assembled with the central sleeve and two thrust washers and
torqued up locks solid.

Can anyone please confirm my thinking that the sleeve must be longer than
the central boss and two thrust washers combined? I have checked the sleeve
is the correct length.  I bought these mounts as a "special offer"- I am
beginning to wish I hadn't. On my original mount the face where the thrust
washers contact was machined - once I had removed the excess rubber the new
mounts have a "as cast" finish.

Has anybody else had any problems with top mounts supplied by a leading UK
parts supplier?

Any advise would be welcome.

Thank you to all who contribute to this list.

Graham Nicholson