Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: turn signals-help!

MikeWattam@domain.elided writes:

<< Lack of volts is causing your problem.  The flasher relay will not 'cycle'
 unless there is sufficient voltage, and as it works on one side of the car
 and not the other then the flasher relay itself should be fine.

 Closely investigate the battery voltage, then if less than 12 volts with
 the engine stationary suspect the battery.  If 13.8 volts approx with
 engine running and turn indicator still solidly 'on', you have a circuit
 problem.

 First check the bulbs for sagging/broken filaments and clean supply and
 body contacts.  This includes the bulbs in the 'fools guide'.

 Corrosion sets in at the 'ground' points between the bulb body and lamp
 casing, also between the lamp casing and the body, cleaning these up may
 very well solve your problem.

 Then look in the boot/trunk.  Behind the left side trim there should be a
 large relay which exists to dim the stop and turn indicators at night -
 stupid idea when no other VM does it!  The contacts on this get badly
 pitted and cause excess volt drop.  Disconnect/remove this and reconnect
 the wires directly together. >>

Thanks, Mike; very helpful as always.  Not sure about your fee, though.  I
haven't tried the turn signals with the engine running; I'll try that to see
if higher voltage gets them to work.  I've cleaned all of the contacts as far
as I know.  Didn't know about the switch in the boot; I'll search for that.
I am taking two steps forward/one step back.  Accidently shorted two of the L
turn signal wires together.  Now the L parking lamps front and rear don't
work.  Oh well; more wringing of wires.  BTW, I did sort out my overdrive -
the PO bypassed the OD switch on the gearbox and connected the two wires
together so that the OD worked in all gears.  Forunately, I guess he never
forgot to take it out of OD while in reverse; the OD seems to work well-at
least up on jackstands.  I wired it back up to the gearbox switch and the OD
now only works in 3/4 like it should.  The wires to the reverse lights were
also disconnected; unfortunately that one is not as easy; reconnected them
and still no lights.  About to take another break from electrical stuff and
change the timing chains this weekend, I hope.  Thanks, Mike.

All for now,
Frank Magnusson
Wichita, KS.