Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Exhaust

Peter,

These lugs are fragile and do break with age and stress.

 The only thing I can think of is that;

1)	Its just age and wear 'n tear
2)	some part of the exhaust is the wrong shape (bent or twisted)
3)	the enginge/gearbox mounts are worn allowing too much movement
4)	the engine/gearbox is in the wrong position.

 These hangers are designed to support the exhaust in the correct
position relative to the cross members. If the brackets are having a
load imparted on them for any of the above reasons then they wont last
very long.

Its not a wonderful exhaust hanger system but its ok if everything is
correct. Do you have the correct rubber bushes, figure of 8 plates,
exhaust brackets etc......

When fitting an exhaust system the whole system should hang easily in a
free state (I have'nt said that very well). None of the hangers/brackets
should have severe loads placed on them. Otherwise with the heat of the
exhaust and the vibrations from the engine they wont last very long.

EXHAUST QUESTION: (for anyone with any idears)

 My stainless-steel system (falcon) has two brackets by the gearbox.
Should these be mounted to something or each other? My Stag is a J'type
O/D, but looking through the books I suspect the exhaust is for a BW35.

This exhaust was not bought by nor originally fitted by me. But it was
fitted to the car I got the engine and gearbox from.

Richard  Brake
richard.brake@domain.elided

ps is no one going to STER this weekend apart from me.