Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Tyres/Tires

Mike,

I haven't done the math's (I'll try to some day when I can get  a CAD
package going) but I don't believe the Stag - 2000/2500 suspension
suffers from "large camber changes". I know Triumphs that do suffer from
this such as Herald's and Spitfire's (21 degrees change at the rear)
Whereas GT6 MkII's are better (7 degrees of change at the rear).

Whilst Macpherson strut isn't as good as twin wishbone setup (al la
Lotus 7, Spitfire and Formula One). Macpherson Strut's do have a low
amount of camber change. The reason they became so popular with
manufacturers was they provided good handling (low unsprung weight) and
were cheap to produce.

The trailing arms at the rear can't allow too much camber change either
(that's why there are two UJ's on the half-shaft). If Trailing arm
suspensions is good enough to be used by BMW........

Whilst I will agree that ride and noise will suffer from lower profile
tyres I find it does improve the handling. Below is listed my current
configurations. Such things are very much down to personal taste and I
like my cars to go fast round bends.

Stag 		195/70-14	Mini-lite 6.5x14
2000 MkI	205/60-14	Mini-lite 7x14
2.5PI MkII	195/60-15	K&N	6x15	(Mini-lite replicas)

On a different note any member of this mailing list going to STER this
weekend please let me know, I'm looking forward to having a few jars of
beer and discussing Triumphs at the bar in Venlo (Holland). If you can't
find me ask Mike Crewes (one of the organizers) to point me out.

Richard  Brake
richard.brake@domain.elided

	In fitting low profile tyres, be aware that ride quality
generally
	deteriorates and noise increases in proportion to the 'ratio',
also these
	relatively stiff carcasses with wide/flat tread areas do not
suit the large
	camber changes experienced on the Stag front and rear end and
may when they
	'let go' will do so very suddenly.

	IMHO - Mike Wattam
	Chairman - Triumph Stag Register